History of the Amersham Area

Church Street

Church Street is dominated by St. Marys’ Church and the buildings which were once Weller’s Brewery

 The sub-pages for this road are shown in the column to the left

14776518875_7102c4ed3f_z

Internet Book Archive image

This etching of Church Street comes from a book published in 1815: “This ancient town is seated in a vale between woody hills. It consists of a long wide street, crossed near the centre bya smaller one. Near the point of intersection is the church,a spacious brick building, covered with stucco, and consisting of a nave, with small aisles, a transept, chancel, and monument room, and a tower at the west end. The nave is provided with good pews; and also three galleries, fitted up by the late Mr. Drake.”

St Mary's

An artist’s impression of St Mary’s Church