Methodist Church and 147-151
The Methodist Church (left) was built in 1899 on the site of former almshouses – see article below on laying of foundation stone. These were four cottages built after the death of Andrew Hall in 1697, who used to live on the site of what is now Hinton House.
No. 147 (Willow House) and Stable Cottage are listed grade II and are to the left of The Eagle and the Methodist Chapel. (The photo to the top right was taken early in the morning after the annual Fair, hence the welcome absence of cars in the street.)
Hearsay: the current owners of No. 147 were told that it was originally a single bay cottage, sideways to the High Street until the early 1700s when it doubled in size and the grand Georgian front was added. The original front door is in the middle of the house. It had a coach arch and a stable block, which are now part of the main house, but the coach arch was filled in during the 1980s.
No. 149 (April Cottage) is also listed grade II and was built in the 17th century. It has a central brick chimney stack with unusual chimney pots.
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.