History of the Amersham Area

153-163 High St

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9124T

Mrs Aldridge’s toy shop, 1889 – probably with her son William (PHO9124)

Nos. 153 and 155 are 18th century cottages listed grade II with hipped dormers.  No 155 was Mrs Aldridge’s toy shop.

No. 157 is an older building from the late 16th or early 17th century.  The rear wing has uneven gables and old leaded windows.  The interior has substantial timber framing and the old roof structure has curved windbraces.  It is listed grade II.

No. 159 has a late 18th century façade on an earlier building and is also listed grade II.

The outbuilding at the rear of No. 161 is another listed grade II building and is from the 18th century with colour-washed bricks.

No. 163 is a barn, now converted into a dwelling, and is in the driveway between 161 and nos. 167 and 165 in what is known as Fountain’s Yard.  Mr H Fountain had his workshop there.  In the second photo below, you can see the gap between the houses and Mr Fountain’s name above the fence. Mr Fountain was the bandmaster of Amersham Town Band.

 

Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description.  Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph.  To close the pictures, just click on one.