21-23 High St (Market Walk)
An 18th century Grade II listed building right next to the Market Hall with a 19th century projecting canopy over the pavement, supported on cast iron columns.
For many years it was Dumbartons the Butchers (see the 1894 & 1904 photos below). Henry Dumbarton was also the landlord of the Elephant & Castle! At some time before 1912 (see prize bull photo below), it became Stevens the Butchers. It was a large butchers with delivery vans and a slaughter house at the back. Mr. Stevens was active in local affairs and Stevens House in Whielden Street was named after him. He ran the shop together with his son Frank and with Doug Pusey from Coleshill. Sadly Mr Stevens died of lockjaw having got lead paint into a cut hand. It is now “Market Walk” which houses a number of small shops.
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.