29 High St
A 17th century Grade II listed building, altered in the 18th century and rendered and painted in the 19th century. There is a high carriage arch to the left. The gabled rear wing has a date stone of 1806.
In 1911 Mr Ernest Cornabé, a stock and share dealer, lived here with his sister and two servants. It is still a private house. It was sold at auction in 1928 for £1,050 by the Tyrwhitt-Drake family to Mr Ernest Cornabé. The auction particulars are shown below in the photo gallery. Mr Cornabé died in 1935 aged 62 and his sister Mabel much later. The PCC minutes of St Mary’s Church in 1968 record the “sudden loss of Mrs Cornabe at the age of 92. Since before the First World War she had been very active in affairs of the church. She had served on the PCC for over 50 years.”
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.