35,37,39 High St
A timber framed 17th century house listed Grade II. It has late 19th century shop fronts.
No 35 is now Pentangle. In the 1930-40s it was known as Hills Stores, a family grocer. Mr. Hill sold out to Messrs. Kinghams of Watford. Mr. & Mrs. Walker bought the business from Kinghams and continued for a number of years as grocers. Upon their retirement the business changed to become known as Harveys, Ladies Hairdresser.
No 37 is now Whippet Grey. From the 1920s to the 1940s this shop was owned and run by Rance & Sons as a Fruiterers and Fishmongers. Upon them giving up, the business was carried on by Mrs. G. Pearson (daughter of Mr. Percy Rance) as a small Wavy Line Grocer. Some years later Mrs. Pearson moved away and for the 1960s to the 1980s a number of antique dealers owned it. In 1984 the shop changed hands again and it became Benedict Jewellers.
No 39 is now a private house, Buckingham Gate (see photo above). Originally it was a tannery and by 1830 it was a butcher’s shop run successively by James Rogers, John Rogers, Ann Rogers, Joseph Keen and John Gurney until the 1930’s when it was owned by J R Buckingham. (See an article by the daughter of Mr Gurney and below is a photograph of the Atora promotional wagon outside Gurney’s in 1918 being drawn by “Dumpling & Pudding”).
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.