57-69 High St
No. 57 (above right) was Tuckett’s the butcher (Felix Tuckett was the husband of Win Brazil). The shop is now Laura, a dress shop.
No. 59 was Adams, Gents Outfitters
Nos 57-59 – This building was the original Post Office and Telephone Exchange for Amersham. It was sold in the early 1930s to Clare College, Cambridge as an investment. It was made into 2 shops and 5 flats. No. 59 was Adams, a Gents Outfitter. In 1937 Mr. W. H. Richardson purchased the business and continued in the same trade until 1953 when he moved nearer the Market Hall to No. 25. This shop was then used for a number of trades – a dressmaker and a warehouse for coat hangers and carded buttons. Then Brazils had it for cooked meats. No. 57 was opened as a Butchers by Mr. Tuckett, the husband of Win Brazil. After the war Mr. Tuckett returned to Argentina and the shop was taken over by Messrs. Brazil & Co. who for a time had meat one side and the other shop cooked meats etc. After the death of Mr. George Brazil the shops were closed down and the shop opened as Laura Fashions and a Ladies Hairdresser the other side.
Nos 61- 65 are the flats above
No. 67 (above left) was for many years the town’s Post Office. As explained below it moved to 67 High Street in 1891 and moved again to a shop near the Museum in 1932. No. 67 is now a hairdresser. Click here for more information about the history of the postal services in Amersham.
Click on any of the photographs below to enlarge it and to see the description. Then click on forward or back arrows at the foot of each photograph. To close the pictures, just click on one.