History of the Amersham Area

99A-107 High St

 

Nos. 99A-103 (Maltings Mews).   These houses are part of what was previously the yard for Keens the builders.  This might once have been the site of one of the town’s tanneries.

Nos. 105-107   This pair of houses (the two doors to the left of the photo above) are Listed Grade II with late 18th century brick front added to an earlier timber-framed building. They share an old tiled roof with two box dormers and a wooden moulded cornice.

Early census information for no. 107 shows that the house was occupied in succession by a cooper, a builder and a nurse:

From the 1871 census the house was occupied by women who had an independent income: