Amersham Town Band
This summary history was written by Caroline Perkins who is writing a book about the history of the Band. If you have any information for her, please let us know via the “Contact Us” button above or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bandmaster Mr Henry Elbourn, a tailor who later ran an Outfitters Shop in The Broadway. He was also a member of the Amersham Church Choir and helped raise money for the organ at St Mary’s Church.
1844 – Earliest record that the band played at Barnet Independent order of Foresters event, Loyal Wrotham Lodge
1856 – played at The Union Treat, Amersham
1866 – Played at a Choral meeting at St Mary’s Church
Bandmaster – Mr George Ward, ran a cycle shop and keen photographer.
1890 George Ward re-forms the band as a ‘Sons of Temperance’ Band
1891 Severed the connections with the Sons of Temperance movement and become a temperance organisation of its own.
28th July 1891 First photograph (left) of the band having played at Bendrose Farm for the Lower Baptist Chapel Annual Treat.
1892 – Change of name to Amersham Town Band
See the 1892 and 1897 Christmas notices.
1898 – New Uniforms, see photographs above.
1909 – re-formation with Mr W Victory and MR G Ward
Third Phase pre war
Bandmaster Mr Arthur Webb, delivery man and later grocers shop proprietors at Chesham Bois. Prize-winning Euphonium player with Chesham Silver Band.
1910 – Successful concert under new conductor
1914 Played at WWI recruitment meeting in the High Street Old Amersham
1919 Played at Peace Celebrations in Amersham
(Possibly the Amersham Band in fancy dress?)
Third Phase post war
Bandmaster – Mr Herbert Fountain, cycle maker who worked for George Ward and married his niece.
1926 – Band re-formed with second hand uniforms from Wycombe Band
1932 – Band re-formed again with Herbert Fountain as Bandmaster
1934 – Purchase portable band hall (Shed) which was possibly placed in grounds of The Swan.
1935 – New Uniforms, and paraded for the Kings Jubilee in Amersham on the Hill and Old Amersham.
1951 – Band wound up
Amersham Band would like to trace a band uniform dating back to 1935, last exhibited in 1997 here in the photograph. The uniform belonged to Mr Leslie Keen, a member of the band in 1935 and part of the group that reformed the band in 1977. The uniforms were purchased by the band in 1935 and used for the first time at the parade for the King George V Jubilee. If anyone has any information about the uniform please get in touch at email@example.com
1977 – Band re-formed by Jean Archer (Town Mayor), Eric Edmonds (Town Councillor). Nigel Tolliday appointed as Musical Director.
Click for the Band’s website.