WW2 and the 1940s
See the left hand column for WW2 research articles. Other pages and links for WW2 and the Homefires & Havens exhibition are below:
- Articles about Evacuees, The Home Guard, Troops in Amersham and the Victory Celebrations
- Post-war temporary camps
- Winchmore Hill’s VE Day celebrations
- Amersham Playhouse
- Amersham’s Modern Alchemists
- The Chesham Bois War Memorial
- Hyde Heath in wartime
- An Amersham Home Guard unit with a Vickers Gun in a truck.
- Read about Jack Grayburn VC (3.1MB pdf). (More information about the 2nd Battalion Oxford & Bucks and the 1st Airborne Defence Platoon is available from Stephen Berridge’s excellent website about the “Light Bobs“, the nickname for the Ox & Bucks light infantry regiment.)
- Visit the timeline about Women at War, celebrating the formation of the WAAC in 1917.